The Louisiana trip is back on! Some of it, anyway. We're leaving tomorrow for six days in and around Lafayette to see some friends and soak up some Cajun culture.
On the loosely planned agenda so far:
- Bryan Champagne's boat tour of the Cypress Island swamp (These first two pics are from my 2004 trip. The alligator is named George and thought to be at least 70 years old.)
- Legends of Zydeco showcase featuring Buckwheat Zydeco, Sunpie Barnes, Rockin' Dopsie, Jr., Lil Buck Sinegal, and C.J. Chenier / Clinton S (in the Rock 'N' Bowl's new digs)
- visit to La Louisianne Recording Studio, birthplace of some of my favorite records
- and maybe Floyd's Record Shop in Ville Platte (besides a staggering collection of hard-to-find South Louisiana music, videos, books, etc., their email list sends out interesting articles and Cajun recipes)
- the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival
- Zydeco Breakfast at Café des Amis
- general mayhem with great musicians (and friends) Dege and Primo (babbling rave review of Santeria's new CD Year of the Knife coming soon)
- and hopefully some more of the incredible crawfish bisque at the Palace Cafe in Opelousas.